Re: incomplete catalogs

Kitty,
I think most nurseries are struggling to find and answer about catalog and web site and how to make it all work for them. As we have talked before in this area, catalogs and postage often costs more than the plant inventory we sell each year. That is one big expense that has to be paid out when there is no income for a nursery. Some have already eliminated the hard copy catalog entirely. Most are still in the "both" position, but trying to make them work together best. Nothing cheap about a decent web site, either. All of this translates into expense and expense translates into plant prices.
I have not seen the new Herronswood catalog, but have hear about the changes... could it be they are trying to reach "the masses" of gardeners as opposed to only the collectors and plant geeks?
I can offer things on my web site that are not in the hard copy catalog for the web site can be up dated over night and a hard copy catalog was written last November on guesses. I also offer things here at the nursery that are not offered on wither the web site or the catalog. Think most places do.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

----- Original Message ----- From: <kmrsy@comcast.net>
I think most of us love our catalogs. In recent years I have noticed
Plant Delights offering more on their website than in their catalogs and
I think a few others do this too. Print catalogs are expensive -
especially with photos and people usually want to see photos, though
that's not a big deal to me. I have found some of my best plants in
catalogues without photos.
Heronswood seems to be going another direction. I still get their
catalogue book, but beginning last year they have begun sending a
picture catalogue too, of some things I guess they want to push harder.
And for the first time in my gardening life I did not receive 4 copies
of Parks Seed catalogue - they cut me off completely. I did get a newly
named version of their Parks Countryside catalogue, but not the seed
catalogue. What gives?
Have you noticed these new catalog directions? Do you feel cheated that
they offer online things you don't see in print? Has anybody cut you off
recently?
Kitty
neIN, Zone5