Re: not smoking

Be sure you got a jug of water. A swig of water cures a lot habit and hunger.

On Wednesday, February 9, 2005, at 07:41 PM, "" <gardenqueen@academicplanet.com> wrote:

Oh the car thing and the phone thing are terrible. The acid test will be
driving (6 hours) to Jesse's in April sans smokes. At least that stupid
Chouteau cop won't be able to give me another written warning for
pitching a cigarette butt out the window. It's a miracle I held my
tongue on that occasion.

Guess the donut shops were all closed.

Pam Evans
Kemp, TX
zone 8A
----- Original Message -----
From: Daryl
Sent: 2/9/2005 2:49:07 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] not smoking

Hang in there, Pam. It *does get easier eventually. And you're right to skip
whatever triggers you can, especially alcohol. Not only do you get a strong
urge, but the alcohol reduces your willpower to resist the cigarette.

The American Lung Association used to put out a good booklet of tips. Some
that I used were to get up and brush my teeth right after eating to quell
the after-dinner cigarette urge, and to go for a walk when other urges hit.
The walks not only kept me from smoking, but it kept me from gaining a whole
lot of weight. The hardest things for me were the telephone urge (answer the
telephone and light up) and the hop-in-the-car and light up habit.

I was finally able to quit the third time around because I broke those last
2 habits before I tried to quit again. It meant a year's being miserable
standing outside smoking in rain, ice, hail and heat, but it helped a lot.
(though even now, a decade later, I sometimes hop in the car and reach for
the pack that isn't there. Habits are amazing in their hold!)

One thing that helped a friend was a small indulgence for victory - a new
plant, or bouquet, or a book or magazine that she otherwise wouldn't have
spent money for. I'm so cheap that I valued the money saved even more, but
that's just me. My friend enjoyed the power of spending money.

Good luck to you. Success is such a powerful thrill!

daryl

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W