Re: Auralie's hib

Oh gee Auralie, you are somewhat of a folk hero here. I use your example to tell my customers that one, Hibs. don't need to live in the tropics and two, they are fairly long lived. What I said about 8-10 years is that some of the hybrids that I sell tend to lose their productivity after that time and so aren't as floriforous. My hybrids at my house are around 10 now and their still doing fine.

You might find that pruning them will give them new life. I wish I could do the same for myself!

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Update on A Touch

What a memory you have, David. I must have said that a year or more
ago. I did have one for more than 20 years but it finally gave up the
ghost. The old stems became very woody and very little new growth
appeared. You told me at the time that they didn't have a life span of
more than 7 or 8 years, so I felt better. Maybe you were just trying to
boost my spirits. Anyway, the oldest of the three I have now is only
about 15 years old. I can't remember exactly which year I got it - old
age on my part. I had told myself I would not bring in these huge
plants this fall, but somehow or other they got brought in. They are
too large for us to handle, so next year may be the end. Two of them
are blooming this week. I have been thinking it's time to prune them
back for next spring, but just can't bring myself to cut off buds. In the
past I have rooted cuttings, but the ones I tried last summer didn't
"take." Maybe I can root some this summer.

In a message dated 02/09/2005 1:03:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,