Re: Update on A Touch

Hey Jim does your High Voltage still have the same intense color difference from outside the petals to the deep maroon of the center? Reason I ask is that here further north latitude HV tends to be a more even pink throughout. Then when we get more hours of sun the flowers become more intense in color differential again.

----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 1:58 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Update on A Touch

Short note on High Voltage, David. We've had some chilly nights--high 30s with breeze--and I don't cover stuff up; if it lives, fine, if it doesn't, it doesn't.
Anyway, it had two big blooms when the chill hit. The blooms held on for a day or two, then dropped [somewhat prematurely]. But the plant quickly formed a half dozen new buds that are playing out now. Beginning to think these have the same cold tolerance as the more ordinary varieties of H. rosa-sinensis, like the double red tree [which I want to get rid of] by my back door.