Re: skiing with helmet/faw!

In a message dated 2/16/05 8:35:03 AM, kmrsy@comcast.net writes:

<< Count me as one of those kids who rode absolutely everywhere on my bike
before helmets were ever invented for us and I survived. I rode in the
backseat of the car, unstrapped, and survived. Skated without pads or
helmets and survived. >>

Kitty, I am in that same class however, I would not dream of riding or
driving today in a car without a seat belt.  I know seat belts can be wrongful in
particular situations but generally speaking it has been proven to reduce auto
deaths.  Our state does req a seat belt however the helmet law regarding
motorcycles was reversed.  I can not understand.  We have a friend who is an
intelligent person, a financial advisor by trade but I am not understanding what
happens to his brain when he straddles his Harley with his red bandanna tied about
his head.
    I always wear a helmet when riding my bike even if I am only riding a
short distance & within the neighborhood.  I have seen the nasty falls which
occur so quickly.  I have many times rode RAGBRAI ( Registers Annual Great Bike
Ride Across Iowa) which is  in about its 30th year and pulls 10,000 bikers with
it.  Helmets are not rqd by law but it is so strongly suggested for this ride
& many other organized bike rides you would not want to ride without one.  The
children in my neighborhood put their helmets on when they go out, forget
they have them on and play with them on when they are not on their bikes.  I
think it is just a matter of change & training.
    In regards to infant car  seats, I don't even like to think about the car
seats my children rode in.  They are a hussle but so much safer.