From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of A A HODGES
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:22 PM
To: gardenchat
Subject: [CHAT] peony people

Alright all, I need some advice. I have read that we can grow peonies
down here as long as they are the early flowering variety. Felder
Rushing did an article and suggested Festiva Maxima and Sarah Bernhardt
for us. A week or so ago I happened to be in Lowe's garden shop, imagine
that, and they had those two peonies for sale in bare root form. Maybe
this means Lowe's is actually starting to try and sell things that will
grow in our area.

Anyway, because the package said (and I've read it from you guys) that
peonies need to be planted with the red buds at least 1-2 inches below
the soil I did that in containers to get them started. Now they have big
green shoots and leaves coming up from the soil. When I plant them
outside, 1. Should I probably give them partial shade in our climate?
and 2. Do I now plant them at soil level since I started them in
containers with those buds or eyes or whatever 2 inches below the soil?
3. What type of fertilizer do they like? Am I missing any questions?

I assume well drained, fertile soil and well watered but not wet. I can look
all this up of course but I trust you guys more.

Also, if I remember correctly, the article by Rushing said to defoliate
them in the fall so they would go dormant when they're supposed to. Does
that mean just defoliate or cut them back?

THANKS!

Andrea H
hodgesaa@earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.