To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 10:07 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] planning trip to Calif

Oh- but Strybing Garden is in SF Golden Gate park and it is wonderful.
And so it the Conservatory
( http://www.conservatoryofflowers.org/ )  which was completed
overhauled and reopened a couple years ago- I love this place.  They
have this humongous philodendron (amoung other facinating things).
North of SF is Muir Woods (redwoods).
Up in DF's area there are zillions of nurseries that are wonderful, and
also a really great garden that one of the wineries developed (I'm
drawing a blank on which one right now).
The UCDavis arboretum is also really nice.
In the foothills there is a lovely large nursery Amador Flower Farm that
I love wandering around it, and en route are a bunch of small wineries
(without the crazy traffic of Napa) !  There are actually several native
plant nurseries up in the foothills also and one nearby me in Elk Grove.

Also- this link might be useful as it has links to gardens, nurseries,
etc in Sacramento:  http://www.sacramentogardening.com/
Of course you can also come by and see my lowly garden : )

Just some ideas...
Theresa

Barbara wrote:

Hi Tricia, I can recommend spending a day in Berkeley. There is both a Univ
of Calif botanical garden and another large garden, many many natives, in
Tilden Park, both in the hills above Berkeley. Also there is a wonderful
nursery in Berkeley, Berkeley Horticultural Nursery, www.berkeleyhort.com.
UC Davis, west of Sacramento, has an arboretum which I hear is
spectacular tho I have not been there.
I would also suggest Henry J Cowell Regional Park in the Santa Cruz
Mountains (along the coast south of San Francisco). The redwoods are
amazing.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=546
Personally I would not bother with Golden Gate Park as I am someone who
does not like city traffic, and the park while large and well planned is not
well maintained these days. But many people love San Francisco and the park
is certainly a major part of the city.
Filoli would be fun (also south of San Francisco).. www.filoli.org. Am
not quite sure what their policy is about making reservations for tours.
Also, both San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara have winery areas you may
want to check out. Many of the wineries have beautiful gardens and
settings.
Hope this helps!
--Barbara Tandy, Grass Valley
----- Original Message ----- From: "pdickson" <pdickson@sbcglobal.net>