Re: planning trip to Calif -now the book...

It's by Max J. Schuster and Gregg Peterson. I think it was self published [Peterson Publishing]. Big 9" by 12" paperback, 246 pages + or -, indexed, with a glossary. It's really a great book if you want to prowl around the Capitol grounds. It's copyrighted 1982 and boasts a price of $9.95. One plant per page. A typical page contains common name [and synonyms[; botanical name; notes on the plant's family; where to find it [plants are numbered and keyed to maps]; where it's native to; descriptions of bark, wood, leaves, flowers, fruit, seed; chemistry [odd uses, such as hair oil made from camellia seeds]; and a place to jot your own notes. Maybe the best $10 I've ever spent, except it's of no use to me now; very unlikely I'll get back to Sacramento in this lifetime.

On Friday, February 18, 2005, at 06:57 AM, Donna wrote:

Sounds like a book you should pick up for future
referance. If Jim thinks it is detailed, well, then
.... so who produced the book?

Donna

--- pdickson <pdickson@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Jim,
Thank you so much for the offer but I wouldn't think
of borrowing your book.
You are great though to offer.
Tricia
----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 3:55 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] planning trip to Calif

Capitol grounds double as the state arboretum.
Definitely worth a  couple
of hours. There's a book, "Capitol Park Trees,"
that's a guide  to the
grounds, complete with layout maps and detailed
information  about nearly
every tree there. If you'd like to borrow my copy
for your  trip, send me
your address off list.

On Thursday, February 17, 2005, at 03:15 PM, Judy