Re: peony people

I thought that the only peonies that were grafted were the woody ones - they are grafted on to herbaceous root stock.
Cathy
On Saturday, February 19, 2005, at 06:34 AM, Ronald Verow wrote:

Andrea, something I need to watch with my peonies that I have had for a few years is the root stock that they were grafted to still tries to send shoots up from the ground early in the season & if not cut off will dominate in a few years & will revert back to what the basic root stock is. I noticed that you said green shoots coming from below the ground. I don't know if this applies to the type of peony you have or not knowing very little about any of these things.

Ron

A A HODGES wrote:

Alright all, I need some advice. I have read that we can grow peonies
down here as long as they are the early flowering variety. Felder
Rushing did an article and suggested Festiva Maxima and Sarah Bernhardt
for us. A week or so ago I happened to be in Lowe's garden shop, imagine
that, and they had those two peonies for sale in bare root form. Maybe
this means Lowe's is actually starting to try and sell things that will
grow in our area.

Anyway, because the package said (and I've read it from you guys) that
peonies need to be planted with the red buds at least 1-2 inches below
the soil I did that in containers to get them started. Now they have big
green shoots and leaves coming up from the soil. When I plant them
outside, 1. Should I probably give them partial shade in our climate?
and 2. Do I now plant them at soil level since I started them in
containers with those buds or eyes or whatever 2 inches below the soil?
3. What type of fertilizer do they like? Am I missing any questions?

I assume well drained, fertile soil and well watered but not wet. I can look all this up of course but I trust you guys more.
Also, if I remember correctly, the article by Rushing said to defoliate
them in the fall so they would go dormant when they're supposed to. Does
that mean just defoliate or cut them back?

THANKS!

Andrea H
hodgesaa@earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.