Re: Another weekend report

I don't know how big your yard is- but FWIW- I love the Black and Decker rechargable electric mower I have. Never again do you have to deal with sparkplugs, filters, carburetors, gasoline, etc!!! I've had mine for about 4 years now- no problems.

Theresa

A A HODGES wrote:

Well, speaking of growing, working, and cleaning, I spent the last three
weeks since Damascena died cleaning up the yard. Although bare, it looks
pretty good. After four years here, and no real yard cleaning to speak
of, the place was pretty overgrown. I cut back my Viburnum 'odotisurum'
(sp?) hedge today and burned the waste. The leaves are COVERED with
scale and whitefly. Some of it had black sooty mold. I've gotten all of
my newly purchased bulbs started in the greenhouse, cleaned up the back
of the house, sharpened the blade on the lawnmower, changed its oil,
gas, and sparkplug, cleaned the filter and carburetor. Son of B-----
still won't run properly so tomorrow I'm going to Wal-Mart and buy me a
new one. I cannot tolerate stuff that does not crank and run correctly.
Makes me crazy.

I've bought new pots and a wrought iron hanger for the porch, planted
Gerber daisies and primrose in pots to brighten it. Um, started three 5
flats of seeds, fertilized the grass with some Halts in it to stop the
crab grass, sprayed Round-up on the winter annual weeds, thrown away
about a hundred old, cracked plastic pots, scared several
semi-hibernating tree frogs and lizards, pruned all the things that
needed pruning, cut back the dead ornamental grasses, burned all the old
stuff in the garden (I almost caught myself on fire a couple of times)

and I still have to do the garden by the driveway. It's a mess. And I
still need to clean out the pond. I'm tired, but it feels good.

The Boxer adoption agency came to visit today. They brought an "adoptee"
with them. His name is Austin but he looks like a Hooch to me. He gets
to come and live with me next weekend, and the other fellow I planned on
adopting is going to come too, so I suspect this spring I'll be saying
"get out of that garden" quite a bit.

I visited some friends tonight that have two Boxers and realize how much
I am missing the leaning on you, licking your face, the silly looks,
they are so funny.

I can hardly wait until next weekend. I tried to get the volunteer to
leave Austin with me, but I have to clear it with the adoption
coordinator first. Grrrrr.... so hopefully, after an interminable (what
seems to be anyway) amount of time, I'll have two new boys by next
weekend.

Daffodils are blooming, day lilies are coming up, tree buds are getting
fat, and the rye grass is as green as it can be. I am so ready for
spring!

Andrea H
hodgesaa@earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.