Re: Theresa's Garden

Ok- well I have to go see if the tag is still out near my osmanthus- after doing to searching, I'm now not sure if mine isn't "variegatus". Also tomorrow- when there is light again- I'll take a closer look at the leaves. Mine does get various colors on it though and the new leaves are reddish briefly, so....
Mine is actually planted under my Camphor tree- so it is in mostly shade, with some late afternoon sun.

Theresa

Chris@widom-assoc.com wrote:

Theresa,

Thanks for sharing your garden with us!  As Ceres said, I love the walls!
They give instant structure to the space!  I liked that I could pick out the
plant material in your photos.  You are growing some of my favorite plants!
Wish I could be there to se it all in person, but I loved the spring
preview!

My osmanthus 'Goshiki' is much more green than yours. I'm quite certain that
it was more gold flecked when I bought it. It has had to survive amongst
encroaching perennials and a spirea bush that needs trimming back this year
for sure! It doesn't get much more than some late afternoon, dappled sun.
Is yours edged in white? Upon searching, I came upon this description from
the U. of Arkansas: "In the variety Goshiki-- which translates from
Japanese as "five colors" -- new leaves unfold maroon red and quickly turn
green. The green leaves are daubed with spots of creamy white, gray-green,
and yellow-green. The variegation pattern looks like a careless painter had
splattered the plant with paint."

http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plantoftheweek/articles/Holly_Osmanthus.asp

There are numerous varieties of osmanthus out there, but I HATE having  a
mislabeled plant!  Now I'm not certain what I have!

Chris
Long Island, NY
Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)