Re: daylilly question

Chris...getting around to answering here...thanks again for sending
me that database - I found several of them available at a local
nursery; at least currently listed.  I don't think he has any idea of
anything, including flower color at this point.  I'm the one trying
to give him a selection in color ranges that will work with the
woodies spec'd and other perennials and figure out early/mid/late and

Judy, thanks....'Lime-painted Lady' and 'Yasmin' have been added to
the list:-)

Ceres...never heard of 'Big Smile' but it sounds luscious - tho' I
see Chris didn't find its habit too great.  Personally, I never order
from Van B...been there; done that; learned.  They send crapola (to
put it bluntly).  Way too many much better nurseries out there.  I
sorta put them in the Michigan Bulb category tho' I know someone who
knows the owners and says they're great people.

Went to the Oaks website and they sure do have some lovely plants -
makes me long for more sun.  I have mostly non-blooming for lack of
sun plain old orange fulva that some client gave my DH many years ago
and which he adores and has a fit when I try to dig out and discard.
They do make nice foliage plants for groundcover in shade:-)  Deer
eat the ones outside the fence to nubbins early in the year and then
come back later for the few flowers they'd throw.  But seeing those
pix makes me want to tear out some stuff to find a home for just a
few more daylilies:-)  My favorite of the 3 other kinds I have, and
the only one whose name I can remember is 'Catherine Woodbury' - she
has a spot in what passes for sun here and puts on a lovely show.
Used to have Hyperion, but think all of it got shaded out.  Have a
small pale yellow that wants to be evergreen and doesn't bloom much;
again, not enough sun; can't remember who that is.  But I do have a
clump of something garish orangish gold that I cannot remember where
I got and do not love that seems quite happy so maybe I can find
someone who wants it and put in something I like...hmmmm...something
else to add to the way too long list of plants I'm making.  I also
have a clump of one that is not particularly handsome, but I grew it
from seed so it stays and it actually blooms quite well; wish it had
turned out to be really nice, but it did not and since it is my baby,
it gets to stay anyway.

Kitty, does Homestead Farms have a website?

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs
Current Article: Plant Exchange