Re: Viburnum (Winterthur pollinators)

> From: kmrsy@comcast.net
> Viburnums, as a genus, fruit more prolifically when genetically
> dissimilar individuals of the same species are growing close
together.
> ...ones (genetically identical, like 2 Viburnum nudum Winterthur)
> planted together do not lend to more prolific fruiting.
(snip)
----------

Kitty, what you posted is rather what I've understood about this
genus.  Even Pam Harper (plantswoman supreme and grower of many
woodies) says she'll never get a grasp of the sex life of Viburnums.

A few months ago, I was researching V. n. 'Winterthur' and came
across a discussion on Gardenweb....can't remember if it was the
shade or shrub forum....seemed quite knowledgeable folk and some
pollinators were suggested.  I saved some of that and, of course,
can't remember where I stashed it or what the consensus was, but a
search of gardenweb for 'Winterthur' would probably bring up the
discussion.

I grow several Viburnum and only 'Erie' seems to set fruit and that
not abundantly tho' it does manage to seed a bit at its feet now and
again.  No idea who is being pollinator as I have no other V.
dilatatum...all catalog descriptions talk about berries on this clone
as a real feature.  Well, maybe with a magnifying glass every odd
year or so....I figure grow them for the flowers and form and forget
the fruit; if it happens, it's a bonus:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs