Re: !/ Proven Winners now Weigela

> From: Theresa <tchessie@comcast.net>
>
> I have mine in a mostly shaded spot (gets maybe 2 hours of midday
sun
> only- but has other larger plants around it so doubt it gets much
direct
> sun), good drainage, amended soil, regular water.  I was afraid it
might
> be in too much shade and was considering moving it to someplace
with
> more sun, but sounds like that would make things worse.  It is near
> brick wall, so that may be adding to the heat- so maybe I will move
it,
> but to another shady spot away from the wall.
----------

Theresa, IMO, these plants need a few hours of sun to do well; not
too many, but some plus good light the rest of the day - in hot
climates, morning sun is preferred.  They are always listed as full
sun plants, but in hot climates, you can always give shade.

Yours could be reacting to too little sun; too close proximity to a
masonry wall OR there could be a problem in the root area that has
nothing to do with light conditions.  Little growth and small leaves
always say 'root problems' to me.  Lack of sun usually results in
stretching for it.

Did you remove the nursery medium from the roots before planting?  If
not, that can be a problem with woody plants.  Either their roots
refuse to leave the medium and move into your soil or the medium
dries out even if the surrounding soil is damp and the plant suffers
from drought.  Does the soil drain well where you have it?  No buried
concrete slab or something under it to stop drainage?  Anyway, 'twere
it my child, I'd dig it up and investigate the root situation...if
all seems marvelous (lots of white feeder roots, etc.) then it's
probably a location issue.  If not, then it's a root/soil issue and
you can probably correct it.

I have 3 Weigelas (not 'Wine and Roses')...they all seem to do well
in the heat here - no problems I've noticed as of yet and I've had 2
of them for some 20 years or more.

The one I'm currently lusting for is 'Midnight Wine'...anybody
growing it?

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade