Re: RE: Re: now sending plants to zone cold- Artemisias/Powis Castle

Yep, I've been sending plants all over the U.S. this winter and I've yet to freeze any. Of course I also received a box of liners from Fl. and they were hib-cycles. They were sent ground so it took a week to get them. When I send back east I send Priority so they generally get there within three days. It's a little more expensive but they don't hang out in the freezing temps.

DF
http://www.atouchofthetropics.net
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: RE: Re: [CHAT] now sending plants to zone cold- Artemisias/Powis Castle

I had someone send me tropical waterplants in the dead
of winter to zone 5 cold here. She insulated the box
with stryofoam on all 4 sides. It worked!

Donna

---  <gardenqueen@academicplanet.com> wrote:

I cut the nicest thickest cuttings, dip them
immediately in rooting
hormone and wrap in damp paper towels. Then wrap
Saran Wrap around that
and tie it off gently w/ garden twine. If it's going
to someplace cold,
then gets all wrapped up in bubble wrap and mailed
Priority during the
week so the package is only two days average in
transit and never left
sitting somewhere over a weekend. Marge said hers
looked just wonderful
last year and it's way colder there than here.

Pam Evans
Kemp, TX
zone 8A