From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of kmrsy@comcast.net
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 10:01 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Ilex opaca

Marge wrote > I have 3 of those growing in too much shade <

OK - now a new question. I have a Ilex x meserveae 'Blue Girl" that I
planted as a little shrubling next to a little 2 foot Blue Spruce about
15 years ago. Behind it to the south is a chain link fence on the other side
of which a Neighbor has a huge Thuja. The poor thing is almost buried in
there, but has thrived and is an outstanding example IMO. It has prevented
BS growth where they meet but as the BS gets bigger toward the front, I am
seeing less and less of the holly. Might be nice to move it.

But 15 years is a long time. Do you think it could be moved safely? What
about taking cuttings first? Do Ilex take well from cuttings? - soft or
hard? when?

Thinking more about the exposure problems mentioned....This hidden one has
thrived while the other two haven't. One is on the other side of the spruce
and also getting crowded, but is up against other problems. The one that was
set further to the north in a triangle of the 3 never did well at all - I
think that was the Blue Boy. It was by itself and had full sun and wind
exposure. I yanked it a few years ago. I wonder if I'd just kill the good
one by moving it.

neIN, Zone5