Re: Re:Primula sieboldii was:Congrats, Gene!

> From: kmrsy@comcast.net
>
> Marge, the P. x variabilis is outstanding, but born in England and
> growing in DC...would it be hardy in Z5. Stiil, if I ever see one
> available, I'll at least pick it up for one of the Tennesseens.
----------

Well, Kitty, it's a hybrid of  cowslips (Primula veris) and primroses
(P. vulgaris)...P. vulgaris is rated to z5 and P. veris the same tho'
I have read posts that say it does well in z3.  So, I figure the hyb.
ought to be pretty bone hardy.  If you would be so kind as to remind
me, I can send you one.  I'm under a new coat of 4-6" of that durn
white stuff right now.  If you can plant mid March, I can send as
they emerge.  If not; would need to wait until after bloom.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs