Re: Viburnum

> From: Chris@widom-assoc.com
>
> For those of you who are helping me to ID my shrub, do you think it
could be
> viburnum burkwoodii?
----------

That is a poss.  I couldn't see the leaves on your pix well enough to
tell much...here's a site with a close up of V. burkwoodii's leaves -
which are different from V. x carlcephalum.  Of course, this time if
year, it's a tad tough to race out and compare leaves:-)  But, when
yours leafs out, it's gonna be the leaves that tell the tale, I
think.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus2/viburnum_burkwoodii.
htm

Here's a site with a key for Viburnums; might help you in the ID
process:

http://www.hort.cornell.edu/vlb/key/

One other thing...my x carlcephalum's buds are pinkish, opening to
white flowers - are yours?  I'm not sure that's a trait of all x
carlcephalums, but mine has it.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade