Re: ivy

I would agree with that. Algerian ivy is a very popular ground cover in SoCal, for example, and not invasive. I've seen no ivies become invasive here in the subtropics. In fact, I had one planted on the wall of the hacienda and after a few years, it died.

I think the Brazilian pepper [Schinus terebinthifolius] is the best example of a plant being what it is by where it is. It's grown up north as an indoor plant, "Christmas Berry," for its pretty red fruit, it's grown in Los Angeles as a low-maintenance street tree, and it's outlawed in Florida where it has become one of the most pervasively invasive species ever.