----- Original Message ----- From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@clubhouse-designs.com>
From: kmrsy@comcast.net
I'm sure one reason my primroses didn't make it was moisture. But
that time I've installed a waterinf system that might cater to
needs better.

Well, the candelabras want it soggy to be happy, which other
residents of your borders might not like, but the woodland species
just want decently moist soil.   P. kisoana is quite nifty with its
fuzzy leaves and thrives in leaf mulch in light shade under trees and
shrubs.  It doesn't go dormant like P. sieboldii; at least mine has
not and P. sieboldii does, watered or not.   I got P. vulgaris 'Blaue
Auslese' from Gene back in '96 and it's been doing just fine in a
regular border in the woodland garden - soil is rotted woodchips and
it's gotten a bit dry now and again, but this one still returns
faithfully and blooms its lil' head off.   I keep meaning to get some
more P. vulgaris - they do go dormant early but bloom very early in

I have one that I got many years ago at a wildflower sale as
'primrose'...finally was able to ID it from Pam Harper's "Time Tested
Plants" as P. x variabilis, a hybrid between the primrose and
cowslip, found in England where these plants grow together.  It is
absolutely tough as nails; has lived in a bed under a maple tree for
well over 20 years now with virtually total neglect.  I get around to
dividing some of them every once in a while, but not as often as I
really ought to.  Flower is a lovely pale yellow with a darker yellow
eye; a dozen or more on foot high stalks;  comes on early, like April
for me and lasts for a month.  If you ever run across it, grab it -
it is about foolproof.  Well, a photo is worth a lot of verbiage so
uploaded one.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland