Re: foundation plantings

Re   > It was
> fun working on the design of the house as it could only be 30' wide and I
> think 64' long. I had to make interesting roof lines and diagonal walls

Chris, you designed the house yourself? How exciting! Before we bought
our house we toyed with building a steel frame house. With those you can
postion things anywhere as the walls aren't load-bearing.

I read someplace that the rule of thumb is not to place a tree closer
than 8 feet to the house. Thank goodness I didn't with my Cornus and
Prunus, but I did place what I thought was a Prunus cistena shrub very
close to the house and it turned out to be a small tree variety. I hack
away at it every year rather than move it because I like where it is.

My lot is 60 ft wide and the front yard between sidewalk and house is
only about 25-30 ft. My husband plunked a little Blue Spruce in the
front yard. When he finally moved out I sent the spruce to the backyard.
I knew as time went by it would be so out of scale with the front of the
lot. However, I planted it too close to the fence so the bottom 4 feet
of growth is not balanced front and back. In trying to correct his
mistake, I made another. But I'd prefer that particular mistake be in
the back.

--
Kitty
neIN, Zone5