Re: Thoughts about new Heronswood Web site

Re>> I also found that when I was trying to 'browse' I would skip any boxes
that didn't have photos.  I don't know why -- I just did.

Chris, I think that's why a lot of companies go for the heavily pictured
catalogs. People gravitate more readily toward photos than toward just
text. I know that I'm a little different in that; my favorite catalogs
are those with no pictures. They tend to hold the most secrets. But I
know, marketingwise, pictures sell. If the description is really
exciting I am perfectly willing to go find a pic on the internet
somewhere or in one of my books. Even when I do see a picture, I know
that it is usually a photo of the best specimen, not necessarily
representative of what I can expect. Same with descriptions. Some
catalogs stretch the zones, so I always research other sources of a
plant I'm considering.

I do understand the "picture not available" postings. Sometimes it is
really hard to obtain a photo. But it shouldn't be overused. A seller
should make an effort to get a photo online. In the case of Heronswood's
new site, I'm betting they aren't really missing all those photos, they
are just behind schedule in getting them uploaded.

Kitty

-- "Christopher P. Lindsey" <lindsey@mallorn.com> wrote:
Thanks for all of your comments about Heronswood.  It helps me solidify
my thoughts about how things are set up and about how I want to run my
site.

I think my biggest problem with the site is that I can't just 'browse'
the site.  I have to know what plant I'm looking for by scientific name
first.

I also found that when I was trying to 'browse' I would skip any boxes
that didn't have photos.  I don't know why -- I just did.

It's tough to say more right now because their site is down and I'm doing
it all from memory.  D'oh!

Chris