Re: Christopher Lloyd

Here's a cut and paste

January 31, 2006

Christopher Lloyd, 84, a Gardener of Wit, Unafraid to Break the Rules,
Dies
By KEN DRUSE

Christopher Lloyd, whose gardens at his country house, Great Dixter,
and voluminous writings inspired generations of gardeners around the
world, died Friday in Hastings, England, near the house, where he was
born and lived for 84 years.

His close friend and head gardener, Fergus Garrett, announced the
death, which came a week after Mr. Lloyd had had a stroke and entered a
hospital.

Mr. Lloyd was the last of a breed of manor house garden writers,
including Vita Sackville-West and Rosemary Verey. His father,
Nathaniel, bought Great Dixter in 1910, and Sir Edwin Lutyens, who also
laid out the garden with Mr. Lloyd's parents, designed additions to the
half-timber house, which dates to 1460.

Mr. Lloyd dispensed personal instructive wisdom with wit and charm for
42 years in a weekly feature in Country Life magazine, retiring in
October. He also wrote 20 books, columns in The Guardian and articles
in many other newspapers and magazines, and gave frequent lectures.

Tom Cooper, former editor of Horticulture magazine, to which Mr. Lloyd
was a contributor, said in an e-mail message on Saturday, "Christo was
the last of the generation of great gardeners who grew up and were
trained in an era of traditional practices."

Mr. Lloyd studied horticulture at Wye College and later taught there.
Despite his traditional background, he was an original artist whose
gardens defied classification. He was known for his willingness and
eagerness to experiment, saying gardeners should live on the frontier
of their experience.

Sometimes his experiments upset critics, as when he ripped out his
mother's rose garden, with some specimens more than 70 years old, and
turned it over to tropical plants. (This adventure led to his last
book, "The Exotic Garden," to be published this year by BBC Press.)

"I enjoy writing in our wonderfully expressive, albeit ambiguous,
English language," Mr. Lloyd wrote in Country Life. "I am passionate
about my subject matter, but not (heaven forefend) solemn. I find it
impossible to take myself or anyone else too seriously.

"I can never see the point of modesty, which makes everything uniformly
low-keyed and drab. If you're bad at a thing  mending the electric
light or, more seriously, in my case, any sort of draftsmanship  admit
it like a man, but if you've done something rather well, like producing
a blaze of floral color in May, why pretend otherwise?"

The glory of Great Dixter and its maker was recognized officially in
1979, when the Royal Horticultural Society gave Mr. Lloyd its highest
award, the Victoria Medal of Honor. In 1998 he was awarded the Order of
the British Empire for his service to horticulture.

The gardens have been open to the public for 50 years, with 44,000
people visiting in 2005, and they have continued to evolve and grow in
popularity. Many horticulturalists have said the garden was at its best
in the last decade.

One of the oldest plants in the garden was grown from a cutting his
mother took from a disheveled part of another open garden. On the
subject of such indiscretions, Mr. Lloyd wrote: "If you must pinch
cuttings from my garden, please take them neatly and not where it shows
and don't let me catch you, particularly if the plant is on sale in my
nursery. That's plain mean."

There had been speculation for some time about what would become of the
gardens after Mr. Lloyd's death. He loathed the idea that they might be
frozen in time. "I don't want the place to become a museum," he wrote
on Jan. 14 in The Saturday Telegraph. "The garden is sure to change. It
has changed a lot in my time."

He continued to describe his hope and plan: "We have formed a trust
The Great Dixter Charitable Trust  which will take over. Dixter will
change but it will go on. As long as he is at the helm," a reference to
Mr. Garrett, the gardener, "I have no fears for Dixter."

Fund-raising efforts have already begun, with information available at
www.greatdixter.co.uk.

Mr. Lloyd leaves no immediate survivors, but was close to a niece,
Olivia Eller, who lives in Strasbourg, France; to his great-nephews and
nieces, and to Mr. Garrett, his wife, Amanda Furgeson, and their
daughter, Ayse.

He forbade any memorial service but instead asked for a party in honor
of what would have been his 85th birthday, on March 2. His friends are
planning a private celebration.

"Gardening, like living, should be fun," he wrote. "It can't be much of
the time, but we can do our best to make it so. It is that intangible
something which immediately proclaims that behind the scenes there is
an original whose guiding hand has created something ephemeral, yes,
but with the magic of a sunset."

On Feb 4, 2006, at 5:36 PM, Pam Evans wrote:

> anyway to read this w/out registering??
>
> On 2/2/06, Christopher P. Lindsey <lindsey@mallorn.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I posted a link to his obit on the British chat group; sorry I didn't
>>> do it here, too. Anyway, here it is--
>>>
>>>               http://hort.net/+136p
>>
>> I put it up in the hort.net top stories section a few days ago too.
>>
>> Chris

> --
> Pam Evans
> Kemp TX