Re: Christopher Lloyd

No, I've not even been to Chicago yet. I'm ready to go though!

I find it hard to believe that the Midwest could be the most difficult for gardening. The man has never lived in the coastal south.

I confess I am still learning about famous gardeners mainly from you guys on this list. I knew who Christopher Lloyd was, and I developed a liking for Gertrude Jekyll a long time ago, but I'm not familiar with many names in gardening. I guess I haven't been to enough talks or read enough. I know who Tony Avent is of course, but some of these people that have been around for years, I'm just getting familiar with. I developed my love for gardening later in life so I'm still a novice at many things. It's kind of embarrassing sometimes to hear everyone talk about a certain person and then I have to go look them up on the internet to see who in the heck they are, or were.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 11:29 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Christopher Lloyd

Basic, yes. Afraid most of us do, at sometime, buy plants and then try to
create the environment they prefer. It is not a new book but I was hoping to
read some magically formula for creating the perfect garden.
Doug Hoerr, who suggested the book, worked for Adrian Bloom & Beth
Chatto in their gardens. He said gardening in England is gardening with near
perfect conditions. The story of Dougs career was interesting. He started his
career in his grandfathers landscaping buisness. He was doing okay but
decided he was not going to gain fame competing with 20 cousins also in the
business so wrote A. Bloom asking to work as his gardener just for the experience.
Adrain hired him but did give him $2 @ hr. He said it wasn't enough to pay
for his film. He also worked for Chatto and another knnown name which I don't
recall before returning to Chicago and his own business. He stated the
midwest is the most difficult location for gardening due to Mother Natures
behavior. I have you been to Chicago to see his gardens in the city?
Ceres