xeric plants for the southwest

Hi all-

I'm in the process of birthday shopping for my mom and would like some recommendations from the dry/hot climate members of this group. What have you had success growing (and keeping alive) through drought conditions? My mom is in Austin TX and they've had very little water (and she can't seem to adapt to changing her watering patterns). Soooo- trying to find something garden-tested that might survive.