Re: snow, photography

> By the way, has anyone ever sold stock photography? Chris? How do you get
> into it and can you actually make any money? Jim, did you mention selling
> photos a while back?  I love photography and would like to get some things
> published. What say you?

Hi Chris,

   It's actually pretty easy to get into, but there's a lot of different
   factors.

   I generally let people contact me -- because of the hort.net gallery
   they find my photos via Web searches and then ask if they can use
   the photo.  Most of the time they want it for free, but sometimes
   they offer to pay.

   I've only sold two images so far (and been paid for one) which I have
   them pay to Mallorn for the hort.net fund.  That way I don't have to
   worry about personal income taxes and it doesn't get taxed twice if
   I were to donate it after they paid me.

   If you're serious about doing it and aren't counting on it for income
   (just some spending money on the side), I think the best way is to
   get your photos online somewhere and provide other photographers
   with a list of your plants.  I often refer photo-seekers to other
   photographers that I know specialize in something I don't have,
   and I've been told that those deals have often panned out.

   If you want to put your photos up in the hort.net gallery, that
   would be awesome.  If you want to set up your own site, there are
   lots of people (myself included) who can offer advice on doing it.
   Once your photos are in the search engines the magazines will find you.

   If you're really serious about getting into photography as a money-
   maker you'll need to set up a Web site, join the Garden Writers
   Assocation, and then send lists of your photos and a link to your
   Web site to publishers.

   But whatever you do, don't give your photos away for free.  It
   cheapens your photos later really doesn't help you get your name
   out there as much as the publishers would like you to think it does.
   And the other obvious issue is that it hurts the industry overall;
   as long as people are willing to give photos for free, nobody's
   going to pay for it.

Chris