From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Betsy Kelson
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 10:08 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] A great trip

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bonnie & Bill Morgan" <wmorgan972@ameritech.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 7:38 AM

> Betsy, it really is a boost to have a fragrant bloomer in the house.
> Two buds on my hyacinth opened at the bottom and started emitting
> their
> this morning!!!  My outdoor hyacinths are usually fully up before any
> of
> blooms on the stalk open up.  Do they react differently when grown
> (It's a lovely blue variety.)

The hyacinths must react differently. Mine started with only a few flowers
open and then within a few days the whole thing was blooming. I have
struggled to get hyacinths to bloom nicely. Often times when I have forced
them, the flowers do not come up above the foliage.  NOT a pretty display.
But this year, with a little more darkness to induce stretching, the flower
made it above the foliage. I think it is time to start bring the tuplips and
adaffodils up from the basement and get them going.

3 degrees and 2" of snow  hoo hooo