Re: Blizzard on the way, Chris' catalogue

> He goes out three times a day, most days, two are 15-20 minute walks with
> me and Precious.  Around noon I let him out in the backyard under close
> supervision.  It's fenced, but there are plants and resident kitties to
> consider. :-)  At least Otis is kennel-trained and house broken.  It could
> be worse.

Well, you're definitely walking him enough!  Are any of them 'leadership'
walks where he's at your side and not allowed to go sniff unless you give
him permission?

One exercise that I've done indoors with Romeo (and I later saw Caesar
Milan do, so I knew I was on the right track) was to lay Romeo down
amidst lots of things that he liked to chew on.

I just sat there next to him and waited.  Any time that he went for
an item I would poke him in the back of the neck and make a noise.
He'd retreat, wait, and then try again.  After just a few times it got
to the point where he ignored them altogether.  He won't even take
food that has fallen now unless I say 'OK'.

I sometimes do this with his regular toys too.  I want him realizing
that when something is in my possession it's mine; I'm the pack leader.
I'll hold onto a toy and squeak it and stuff.  At first he'll come over
and try taking it away, but I'll rebuke him and he'll stop.  Now he just
waits patiently.

Of course, the second I put the toy down and say 'OK' he grabs it, runs
off, and hides it so that I can't steal it again.  :)

Chris