Re: Blizzard on the way, Chris' catalogue

> not the translation, it is the background knowledge your mind has, and
> typing slower than your mind is wandering :) Did you read the post by Island
> Jim about how hard this is to do. Although some are in a language I can't
> read, others are repeating comments, which is ok, but the more diverse you
> can make them, the better. I also read one that was a negative undertones,
> as in another plant was really better. No, No... each one needs to have a
> special reason to buy me! LOL!

Do you remember offhand which plant had negative undertones?  You're right,
that's not good to do.

Although if a plant has issues (is invasive, smells bad, etc.) I'm going
to tell people up-front.  I don't want to trick people into buying plants.

> Hum, I can click on the name of a plant from the beginning pages and it
> takes me to that plants page...but I do have full versions pdf programs on
> all my computers not just the free readers?

The free Acrobat Reader will also do that.  Now I just need to link the
plant names from within the descriptions for other plants!  :)

> My last comment is from my accounting side.... sorry, but R U NUTS? This
> would be great as html pages in a site, but as a printed catalog?  Have you
> priced 276+ pages in print- with color- then the cost of getting these
> catalogs to folks in something other than bulk mail..... this will cost you
> more than all the plants you bought! Seriously, have you talked to a
> printing company?

It's going to be about 50 cents per copy.  :)

I'm trying something new -- instead of sending out print catalogs (which
are expensive to ship and print, as you mention), I'm going to send out a
CD with the PDF and Acrobat Reader on it.

Since Reader is specifically designed as a document formatting/layout tool
people can print whatever pages they want without worrying about formatting
issues when it comes out of their printer.  So if they want to curl up
with a catalog in bed, just print out the pages that interest you and go
snuggle up!

I'll probably produce a print copy to mail people who don't have computers,
but it will have four pages shrunk down onto one page and will be double-
sided.  It will also be black and white and will drop all of the extraneous
stuff like the plant selection guide, etc.  That should trim it down to
32 pages that I can just run off at a Kinko's and mail out.

Chris