Re: Plant ID?

The stats do show that gardening as a hobby has diminished.

Rayna had you for a shining example, as did many of us with our mothers and grandmothers. I'm afraid we're going to lose that next generation because they're so distanced from the deep roots that we had, and because the hucksters are giving them false promises and no knowledge.

If this new generation is not given guidance to quick and easy success with gardening, I'm afraid they may abandon it altogether. With a bit of nurturing, from us and from the Green Industry, they can find what suits them at several stages of their lives.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 8:45 AM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Plant ID?

I had read that the number of avid gardeners are down significantly. I
understand many young folks are opting for low or no work landscaping. It
is sad, but I do understand how difficult it is to work full time, raise
children, be involved in the community and try to keep up with house and
property. I just think they miss "smelling the roses." I have great hopes
that as their lives slow down, they will pick up the trowel. My girls are
certainly doing that now.

Daughter Rayna has turned more than half of her front yard into a little
park for passers-by with a garden arch, bench, pathway and lovely plantings.
It is still a very young garden but I know that this year it will be full
and beautiful. She has met most of her neighbors through her garden.
Three years ago, she thought gardening was frivolous....

Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)