Re: plant ID/bad experiences

I doubt this is the case, that a person would quit gardening due to a bad
experience.  They might shy away from that type of plant (been guilty of  that
myself....although usually I have the three time rule).

When my parents first moved to the US in l986 they did just this.....they
ordered from Michigan Bulb company.  The experience was awful...first of  all
the plants were in terrible shape, and secondly, had they been in good  shape,
they would not have made it anyway, due to the fact that there was  absolutely
no information stating what areas the plants were suitable for.   My parents
just ordered what they had experience with in Europe....unfortunately  these
were not good for South central Texas.   This experience didn't  stop them from
gardening, but it did stop them from ordering any plants from a
catalogue....and it has also kept me from doing so also.   We found  that the plants
purchased locally were much more suitable for the climate.   Of course information
now is much better than it was back then....however I do  believe that novice
gardeners (whether to gardening as a whole, or to regions)  having bad
experiences will move on to other means and methods.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 2/14/2006 3:37:06 PM Central Standard Time,