Re: Alberta Spruce & Ilex Meserveae "San Gabriel"

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Alberta Spruce & Ilex Meserveae "San Gabriel"
  • From: "Christopher P. Lindsey" lindsey@mallorn.com
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 06:55:30 -0600

On Jan 04, Donna wrote:
> Not sure it would work with that plant, but it is the bonsai technique where
> you strip off one side of the tree, cutting the bark slightly, laying it
> down in the dirt so each branch becomes a trunk. Over time it would look
> like a forest of trees in the garden railroad (or so I hope)
>
> I don't think I explained that too well.... hopefully Chris will chime in
> with the real explanation, as I believe it was a private discussion we had a
> long time ago. Meant to try it last year, but just never had the time....

I went through my Paul Lesniewicz book tonight, but he really doesn't talk
much about the ikada (raft) style technique.  However, Google turned up:

   http://www.kittysbonsai.com/?page=s-ikada

   "An ikada is made by burying the trunk horizontally and arranging
   the branches so they will appear to be trunks. The difference
   between the Yose-Ue style and the Ikadabuki styles lies in the
   fact that in the Ikadabuki style it is clearly visible that the
   new trunks emerge from the older, fallen trunk.  To achieve an
   Ikada Bonsai, place the tree on its side in the pot. The trunk
   will sprout roots on the side which is in the soil."

Also

   http://www.bonsai-tree-care.com/shapes-sizes-styles/raft-ikada-buki.shtml

Paul has a beautiful picture of Acer rubrum trained in ikada style, but
I suspect many common bonsai species with pyramidal to oval shapes would
work well (like birches, elms, zelkovas, and some more open conifers).

I think the trick to success here is training the stems with wires to
grow out in multiple directions.  Otherwise your grove isn't going to
look three-dimensional.

Chris