Re: Plant ID/Gardening

Hi, I didn't find your gardening history to be a bore at all, in fact, I
found it to be quite interesting.  What year was it that your grandmother  was in
this garden club??  How interesting that they should want the newest  plants
and such.  I read a lot of garden books, unfortunately more than  anything
else.  I've read so many about Orchid collectors and other  collectors from back
in the 1800's that would collect rare species to bring back  to sell to rich
collectors.  Haven't read much about every day  folks though in garden clubs.
I have many older friends (in their late  70's) that were founding members of
specific groups (i.e orchids,  bromeliads, etc.) , they would make trips to
South America, etc. to collect  plants, and many (not nobility or such) would
pay hundreds of dollars for  rare plants back 30-40 years ago.  I cannot even
imagine paying that much  NOW for a plant, although I have paid quite a bit at
times.  Used to be  quite the thing to belong to these societies.  Things have
changed so much  since then, but it sure is interesting to hear how dedicated
the folks were back  then, and such.
Thanks for sharing!!
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 2/15/2006 11:03:23 AM Central Standard Time,