Re: Plant ID?

Please, Auralie, you are never boring. Thanks so much for sharing your memories. I loved hearing my grandmother tell about her childhood, although a lot of her tales were about what life was like under reconstruction. I also loved the tales my father told me about his life in rural Mississippi. I cherish the memories of past lives.
zem
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 8:13 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Plant ID?

I have gardened all my life.  When I was a small child in the deep
South, we had a woman who did the yardwork.  I used to follow
her around and she would show me what to do.  Neither of my
grandparents were gardeners, but my grandfather had a rose
bed because that was what some of his buddies did.  My
grandmother was a founding member of the local garden club,
which still exists, by the way, and always wanted to have the
latest new plants, though I never remember her getting her hands
in the dirt.  Anyway, the woman who did the yardwork would say
"let the baby (that's me) plant it and it will grow."
Of course my father's family were farmers, though he was a
school teacher. My grandmother really looked down on "country"
people (she was so urban in her town of nearly five thousand
people.)
When I went away to college, I grew morning glories and sweet
potato plants in my room.  When I had an apartment before I was
married I asked to be allowed to cultivate a small plot outside the
building.  When we were first married we lived in a new apartment
development in Chapel Hill, NC.  I planted bulbs behind the
foundation plantings.  After we moved to a very small
apartment in New York City I had morning glories growing up
the curtains and as many plants as we had surface space for.
Before we moved out of the city I was getting books from the
library to learn about what would grow in the area, since I was
sure it wouldn't be the same as the Florida panhandle where I
grew up.  I already had a collection of catalogs, and had ordered
some seeds to plant when we moved out in March.
So you see, gardening is just a necessity of life like breathing and
eating.  I can't imagine not doing it.
My other grandmother, the "country" one that I didn't grow up with,
was a great gardener.  I wasn't allowed to visit her often, and when
I did, I was not a favored grandchild, but I do remember that her
front yard was solidly planted with flower beds with swept sand
paths between.  No lawn, but lawns were not common in the rural
South in those days.
Sorry to be a bore, but you did ask.
Auralie

In a message dated 02/15/2006 7:02:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,