Re: plant ID/ hobbies on the decline

My favorite kind of fishing does not involve casting -- just sitting on the bank watching the cork bob up and down. I could do that all day. I prefer earthworms or dough balls for bait although I have used crickets.
zem
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 4:39 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] plant ID/ hobbies on the decline

Is there more to fishing besides sitting and waiting???? (David, not
talking about fly fishing which does seem to have activity) Fishing is one of
Dh's favorites...ugh!! I've tried and tried, since we do most things
together.....but I just can't get into this at all. It's not even that I'm such a mush
heart and feel sorry for the fish (which I do), since DH catches and
releases anyway.....but it's just so SLOWWWWWW.
I can deal with bait, casting out, etc. etc. but the wait....ugh! My mind
wanders, I start seeing a shell, or a plant or rock I'd like to look at, next
thing I know, I've wandered off and totally forgotten about the fish.
Perhaps I just don't get it...or I'm truly too hyper for that particular hobby.
Who knows.

I really think (other than fishing) that the decline in participation,
membership, etc. is the competition for time. Even for those that do not work,
there is so much that one can do, has to do, wants to do, that it is impossible
to do it all....despite the desire.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 2/14/2006 6:35:43 PM Central Standard Time,