Re: Plant ID/Gardening

Nope, not a bore at all Auralie. What a great story. I never grew up gardening either, and as someone said in another post, when I moved out on my own I got interested in gardening. Now it's like breathing to me, as you say. One reason I'm headed back to where I can do it on a regular basis. One of my first priorities will be to save money for a small greenhouse. Lots of my stuff I'll keep in containers as I'll be renting and I will have no room to move anything inside for the winter. The very short, mild winter. ;-) I do need somewhere to keep my tropicals though.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Plant ID/Gardening

Hi, I didn't find your gardening history to be a bore at all, in fact, I
found it to be quite interesting. What year was it that your grandmother was in
this garden club?? How interesting that they should want the newest plants
and such. I read a lot of garden books, unfortunately more than anything
else. I've read so many about Orchid collectors and other collectors from back
in the 1800's that would collect rare species to bring back to sell to rich
collectors. Haven't read much about every day folks though in garden clubs.
I have many older friends (in their late 70's) that were founding members of
specific groups (i.e orchids, bromeliads, etc.) , they would make trips to
South America, etc. to collect plants, and many (not nobility or such) would
pay hundreds of dollars for rare plants back 30-40 years ago. I cannot even
imagine paying that much NOW for a plant, although I have paid quite a bit at
times. Used to be quite the thing to belong to these societies. Things have
changed so much since then, but it sure is interesting to hear how dedicated
the folks were back then, and such.
Thanks for sharing!!
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 2/15/2006 11:03:23 AM Central Standard Time,