From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 6:05 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Chilly

Two kumquat trees here, Chris. Both were originally purchased as
pre-decorated Christmas trees--they're loaded with bright orange fruit
December through March--then later planted out. There are two main
varieties, Nagami and Meiwa. Nagami fruits are football shaped and great
eaten out of hand, skin and all. Both of our trees are Nagami.
Meiwa fruits are round, sour beyond belief, and good only when candied or
made into marmalade. Asian grocery stores usually have candied kumquats in
bulk; they may be either variety, depending on the source.

On Feb 15, 2006, at 10:46 PM, Christopher P. Lindsey wrote:

>> Well, we're heading into the deep freeze again, worse for those of
>> you to the north of me. Heard that the hurricane prediction folks are
>> saying that if we thought 2005 was bad, wait until the 2006 season
>> starts. Wonder whether "el nina" bodes wet or dry for the midwest...
>> By the way, the lemon seeds arrived yesterday, Jim, and in good
>> condition. Will wait until I get back from the west coast (a week
>> from Sunday) to plant them.
>
> Sounds like I need to rearrange the plastic sheeting on the makeshift
> coldframes tomorrow.  Whee!
>
> Speaking of lemon seeds, anyone here grow kumquats?  I've been
> munching on a bunch that I bought at the grocery store and love them.
>
> Chris

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W