Re: kumquats.....Jim S?

Noreen, let me know how the fruit comes out on your variegated Cara Cara, please. Blood oranges [I have a small seedling] do not seem to produce the rich red flesh [with the hint of raspberry] here like they do in California and Spain, so I'll be interested to know how they do in Texas.

I don't know why most citrus are grafted--I tend to think it's the result of the same logic that puts chrome strips on Buicks. But while I suspect that kumquat roots are just as suitable as trifoliate root stocks, I don't know that. I do know that in my yard, key lime, Palestine lime, Meyer's Improved lemon, and sweet lemon all grow on their own roots. I also believe that some cultivars--such as Noreen's Texas ruby red grapefruit--are probably too unstable for sexual reproduction and so grafting is the surest way to get a lot of them. [Incidentally, the TRRG is an excellent grapefruit, but my favorite is still the old, very seedy, white Duncan.]