RE: Christopher Lloyd & Beth Chatto

After reading your take on these two folks, I'll have to find some time to
find their books and give them a read.  Thanks for the insight.

Blessings,
From your still novice gardener, Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5) who still has so
much to learn.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Marge Talt
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 7:59 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Christopher Lloyd & Beth Chatto

Well, I'm late on this thread - my email is in such a mess; inbox has
4458 messages wanting me to look at them - but since both Christopher Lloyd
and Beth Chatto have played an important part in my education as a gardener,
wanted to throw in my 2 cents.....

I mourn the passing of Christopher Lloyd - not really unexpected because of
his age and I had read he'd entered the hospital, but still very sad for me.
His books were some of the first gardening books I ever read. All of them
contain his own brand of pithy wisdom
- I still re-read them today.  He was a real gardener; often mistaken for
one by people visiting, since he'd be out there in his old clothes, weeding.
He wrote from hands-on experience.  Had the great good fortune to visit
Great Dixter in 1989 - he was not visible, but I took the house tour - the
older portions of the house are open for guided tours (at least when I was
there)...the garden was fabulous,
even in late Sept. when I was there.    Also heard him speak at a
symposium many years ago - most entertaining and interesting speaker....his
passing is a loss to horticulture IMO.

Beth Chatto has been my garden guru since I discovered her in 1985 - saw her
booth at Chelsea and was blown away by the plants in it that I'd never seen
before; acquired and enjoyed her books and finally got to see her garden
during the 1989 trip to England and fell in love.
She has an unsurpassed ability to combine plants for best effect in a subtle
fashion. She's a plantswoman par excellence.  If I could return to only one
garden in the UK, it would be hers.

I also got into Bressingham that same trip, which wasn't open, but Allan
Bloom gave permission and even opened the door for me (I was beside myself
with garden joy that year) - he's another of my gurus; one of his was the
first garden book I ever had.

Beth Chatto's 'Green Tapestry' is more of a compilation of plant portraits,
IMO....but her opinions on growing things are always sound.  Her late
husband was deeply involved in the study of natural plant associations -
after years as a fruit grower - and influenced her interest in observing in
the native habitats of plants - what kinds of conditions they originally
come from - because her garden has such diverse soil and conditions - from
many feet of pure gravel, to boggy to stolid clay - and she wanted to
understand which plants would grow best with the least amount of water and
labor,as it is very dry where she gardens and for many years, she was, with
her nursery staff, tending it and time was precious, so she couldn't afford
to have to coddle plants to get them to flourish.

Beth's other books - 'The Dry Garden' and 'The Damp Garden' and my favorite,
'Beth Chatto's Garden Notebook', are well worth reading as her philosophy
works on both sides of the pond even tho' we all can't grow everything she
does.  I think the above have all been re-issued and updated from the copies
I have that date from the late 80's; probably more pix and in color.

Beth Chatto and Christopher Lloyd were good friends and there's a book out
of letters between them - I think it's called something like 'Dear Friend
and Gardener'.  I enjoyed it, mostly for the insight it gave me into these
two people whom I have admired for so many years.

So, Ceres, hope you got into 'The Green Tapestry' and enjoyed it.  If you
didn't, don't give up on Beth Chatto - find, if you can, her
garden notebook and give that a whirl.   IMO, you can't go wrong with
books by either Lloyd or Chatto:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Shadyside Garden Designs