How do you keep track?

Last weekend as I was doing all my raking and clean-up, I kept seeing things
that needed attention but I couldn't do right then. Everything from "I
really ought to divide those bulbs this summer" to "dig out that volunteer
tree".
I have a terrible memory; so it's hard for me to keep all these jobs in my
head. Especially something that's not going to hit my eye immediately next
time I go out. I tried bringing out a writing pad and every time I'd think
of something I'd write it down. But what a PITA! Drop the tools, take off
the gloves, walk over to the paper, write it down, back to work. It really
interrupts the flow. But I can't think of any other practical method.
What do you all do when there's too much work, and you need to keep track?

Cyndi