Re: Herbal question and weather

That's pretty much what I found, too. Plus a strong warning to never plant it near cucumbers.

On Feb 18, 2006, at 12:25 PM, Kitty wrote:

Hi Bonnie,
Here are a few bits I found:

Be warned, however, that many other plants dislike fennel and grow
poorly when forced to share space with this strong herb. Never plant
fennel near coriander or dill.

Dill and fennel like each other, but have a tendency to cross-fertilize.
Fennel should not be planted near caraway or coriander.
Theres an old saying 'plant fennel near your kennel.' It is good for
keeping fleas away and the dried leaves can be put in the kennel itself.

Herb Companion Chart:
http://www.gardenguides.com/TipsandTechniques/herbc.htm

--
Kitty
neIN, Zone 5

From: "Bonnie Holmes" <holmesbm@usit.net>
At last, winter has come with a pretty thick snowfall. The deciduous
holly, laurel, red stem dogwood look beautiful. I think I may fill the
bathtub in case some tree branches take out power lines somewhere...we
have had such warm weather that it is extremely possible. The utility
company does frequent pruning to reduce the possibility but there are
miles of lines.

My herbal questions concerns the best place to plant fennell. I
understand that most plants don't like to be planted near it so which
won't it hurt? Does anyone know?

Bonnie ETN Zone 7

Island Jim
Southwest Florida