From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Kitty
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2006 4:33 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Lotus qstn

One of our MG gardens has asked me to get Lotus nelumbo for their their
barrels. Didn't give a common name.  Would I be correct in thinking they
want Nelumbo nucifera, Sacred Lotus?  I can't ask them, they don't know.
Also - they plan to put these in half whiskey barrels which in the past they
planted with Impatiens.  They plan to plant one Agastache 'Tutti Fruiti', 3
Helichrysum 'Limelight', and 3 of these lotus in each barrel.  I'm not
really grasping the concept.  The lotus is a water plant, the other two like
dryish soil.  I asked her if she was inserting something in the barrel to
hol the water plant, but she dodged the question.  I mentioned this to the
Hort Ed and he says one lotus will be plenty, they get huge.

Any thoughts on all of this?

neIN, Zone 5