Re: Kumquat, Citrus

Jim, I'll do that.  It is in bloom, so hoping we get fruit this  year.   From
what I was told, it is not the deep red berry type blood  orange.  I do have
a variety that I got a year or so ago that had that  exact description (why I
chose it)....it is Moro moro (or something like  that.....too doggone cold
outside to go check for sure).  Didn't get fruit,  hurricane ripped off
everything on the bloodorange and the Satsuma  this year unfortunately.....other citrus
were not as badly hit.   So maybe this year.  Be fun to compare.  Did get to
harvest  some Spanish lemons.....they were indeed pink on the inside and much
sweeter than meyer or other lemons.  Very happy with that one.

From what we were taught, depending on the soil in areas, that is what
rootstock is used....this gives the citrus a better chance of survival.   Sour
orange rootstock is hardier, trifoliate is used here in Tx since it does  better
in drought and/or wet conditions in clay.  Two types are used.   Also rootstock
is used to keep certain citrus smaller in size, as in  dwarf.
Sour citrus (lemons, limes, etc.) seem to grow okay on their own rootstock
here, but citrus doesn't.  Have never tried to grow any from seed  though.

A co-worker of dh has a citrus tree......the fruit is smaller than an
orange, larger than a tangerine.  The skin is thick, but peels like a  tangerine.
The fruit is more sour than most, but not as sour as that of a  trifoliate sour
orange.  Any clues what it could be??? I love it.   It's not a Calamondin or
such...much larger than that, but pretty much that  similar taste.  I have not
seen the tree, so can't say what it looks  like.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 2/16/2006 6:54:26 PM Central Standard Time,