Re: Lotus question

From what I hear there is a terrestrial plant called Lotus, but it is not a
Nelumbo.  That is a bog/water plant.  These are often grown in whiskey
barrels.  One is definitely enough, they do grow huge.  It is a tuber,  which is
planted sideways just under the surface of the soil. When dormant,  it is easiest
to transplant, but one has to be very careful not to harm the  growing tips.
 They don't need deep water at all, but definitely need  something that will
HOLD water.  So the barrel would have to have a liner  to keep the soil moist
and at least have some water over the soil.
There are many different varieties, some named, others not....of  Lotus.
They come in all different sizes too, some are best suited for  barrels and
such...others, like the native varieties, do get very large, and can  (and will)
break a container they are in.  In many parts of the country  they are
considered invasive.  They grow wild here in the bayous and  waterways, and often cover
large areas.   The leaves are large and  rounded, and unlike waterlilies
(even tropicals) grow quite high above the  water.   Lotus are quite spectacular
in bloom....with their blooms  being held up high above the leaves.
Interesting aspect of the leaves is  that they repel water.  Water that hits them beads
up instantly.   Quite fun to watch in the rain.  The seed pods of the lotus
are quite  ornamental.  Lotus are easily grown from seed.....but named hybrids
might  revert back to the original.
Lotus don't seem to care for extremely cold or extremely hot weather,
especially if in containers.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 2/19/2006 4:31:04 PM Central Standard Time,