PNW Show

Dear friends I had the most delightful time in Settle.   The weather was
perfect!   No rain, no clouds/smog/fog and no Judy. The mountains were beautiful.
     There were 24 extensive beautiful gardens competing for awards.   The
winning one was probably my favorite.   I was surprised at the small use of
water in the gardens.   One of the speakers touched on that as they talked of
trends.   Seems gardeners are tired of water garden maintenance.   What do you
think?   The other big talk was gardening is on the down slide.   A survey was
taken of 21-36 year olds and they don't garden, have no interest in gardens and
do not fore see having interest in gardening.   Since the midwest is always
slow to catch up with trends, I am assuming we will still see a good year this
year in the greenhouse.
     Color trends seem to be white, pink & lime green.   Containers are still
big. The size of the containers seemed bigger, bigger mix of plants included
lots of shrubs, small trees and particularly conifers.   Many of the
containers were sq and still lots of hi glaze but in dark colors.
     I attended 9 seminars on various topics.   I heard both of D Hinckleys.
 Especially enjoyed Sean Hogan also.
     I did purchase plants and packed them in my luggage as my friend always
does.   I purchased a sm Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Baby Blue' for a trough,
Leucothoe fontaneslana 'Rainbow' for a container, daylily 'Destined to See' and a
yellow dahlia tuber.   Also got a couple art items one of which is for a
neighbors birthday.
     Oh my the weather has been extremely cold since returning home.   I
believe we broke some records again but this time for the coldest weather on
record for a given day.   Our furnace failed yesterday when it was below zero but
after two service calls it was restored.   Today the garbage disposal died.
Tomorrow it is predicted to be warmer and that should bring better happenings.
     I am trying to catch-up on all your chatter.   Andrea, I am so sorry you
didn't find happiness in the midwest but you would not have known had you not
tried.   I wish you well.