Re: Doggie treats

Remember once I interviewed an aggie animal scientist about an experiment he conducted with pigs. He surmised they were bored and if they could be induced to be active they would develop greater muscle mass and, hence, bring a better price at the auction. To test this notion, he put a half dozen basketballs in a pen with a like number of pigs, set video cameras to record their behavior, and pretty much left them alone. When I asked him how it worked out, he said it didn't. "Let me show you," he said, and put a VCR tape in his play back machine. We sat there and watched for about 15 minutes, a bunch of pigs lying on one side of the pen and a half dozen basketballs sort of scattered around. He finally shut off the VCR. "I've got about 80 hours of tape just like that," he said.

On Feb 23, 2006, at 2:08 PM, Andrea Hodges wrote:

well, I guess he was bored.....oops
----- Original Message ----- From: "Karen Fernsler" <kmwos@korora.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Doggie treats

It takes my Finn about 7 minutes to shave away the med. size greenie.
He shaves off little bits and chews and chews.

My Ariana takes her time with them, but I supervise her when she has
them. She tends to gulp only if Finn is harassing her into 'sharing'.

Yesterday, apparently out of boredom, Finn decided to add some fiber to
his diet.

http://wosfamily.com/destructive_chewing

:(