Re: Cornus

> Gene, I did not find these in your catalog listing.   Which is the best
> color?   I have red twig but it is not so exciting.   Have you seen 'Midwinter
> Fire' to compare with those you have?

Hi Ceres,

   I don't think Gene sells them mailorder, so I'll mention that I'm
   carrying 'Winter Flame' and *possibly* 'Arctic Fire'.

   'Winter Flame' isn't as red as the other dogwoods -- it's starts orange-
   yellow at the base and gradually becomes pink and red at the tips.
   Different stem lengths and the range of colors are what make this
   cultivar so unique -- it's like a flame.

   Arctic Fire[TM] is a fairly new cultivar and is supposed to have bright
   red winter stems.  I haven't heard anything about it -- the author of
   the Timber Press book 'Dogwoods' told me that he hadn't heard of it as
   of last fall and it wasn't listed in the 2005 evaluation of shrubby
   dogwoods at Longwood.

   'Midwinter Fire' is an older cultivar that *was* evaluated by Longwood,
   and it scored quite well for winter coloration.  It shared the top spot
   for red stems with C. alba 'Aregentomarginata' (also in my inventory),
   C. sericea 'Baileyi', and C. alba 'Sibirica'.  However, its spring rating
   wasn't as good and the summer rating was the worst of any of the 33
   cultivars tested.  The report says that the plant was 'unattractive'
   in summer due to high susceptibility to pests and diseases.

   I should point out that 'Winter Flame' didn't score too well for summer
   attractiveness either.

Chris