Re: Oleanders/hummingbirds

My Oleander is a white with pink in it, but the neighbors have one that is
dark red...it is always visited by hummers.  My hummingbird bush is  directly
below their Oleander (with the fence in between) so it too gets  frequent
visitors.  All time favorite in my yard though for hummers is the  pink
salvia....hummingbirds prefer these plants over the feeders that I used to  put out.  No
need for the feeders anymore, they initially got the hummers  to visit years
ago, but now the plants keep them coming back.
The butterflies don't seem to prefer any one plant over the other.   The host
plants are what bring  the different species into the  gardens,and keep them
coming back year after year.   Butterflies  don't seem to be very particular
about where they get their nectar.  It's  not unusual to see Monarchs here all
year, but this year with the warmer  weather I've noticed a lot more species
that have been active through the  winter. Hardly anything went dormant, so
lots of host and nectar plants.   Passionvines and Asclepias (butterflyweed) kept
foliage and blooms, as did the  Cannas.  The Bougainvillas are prettier than
I've seen them in a long  time.  Rather strange sight seeing the spring bulbs
blooming with  the summer plants at the same time.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 2/22/2006 11:02:15 PM Central Standard Time,