RE: Oleanders/hummingbirds--Hyacinth experiment/Amaryllis

Noreen, I don't suppose you have any photos of the rare event of summer and
spring plants blooming together?  It's chili with snow coming again.  I
could use a  outdoor "bloom" fix.  Seriously, it sounds lovely.  I'm tickled
you got to see something like that!

The hyacinth experiment was a success, BTW, with the flower stalk
lengthening a good 3".  I imagine it would have done even better had I put
the tube over the plant at least a week or two earlier.  I'll remember that
for next year.  Now I'm wondering, since this bulb was grown in a bulb vase,
how do I preserve the bulb for next year?  Has anyone here done that before?
I don't want the bulb to rot and I don't want to give up a bloom for next
year either.

In the mean time, my Amaryllis 'Double Record' turned out to be like
me--short (maybe a foot tall.)  However, it is very pretty and quite
feminine looking, so I am enjoying it.  The Amaryllis 'Red Lion' comes up to
my waist with it's bloom stalk.  The buds have just separated and I expect
it will start to bloom within the next day or two.  Thus far, it looks
pretty spectacular, with the flower color deepening it's red color every
time I look at it, or so it seems.

The Sam's Club here just put out their bulbs/bare-root boxed plants for
spring.  I found 60 caladium for $12 and 12 day lilies for about $13.00,
among other things, should anyone be interested.

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)