RE: Mechanical troubles!

Wow!  What a mixed week for emotions you have had!  I'm sorry about your
Italian glass items and your garbage disposal.  I love glass myself and I
know some of it can be quite expensive and the one of a kind items are just
irreplaceable.  I'm so glad you won the furnace and I hope they've got a
great energy star selection for you!!!

We had maintenance problems this week, too.  Tuesday I smelled something
that I thought was burning insulation.  Bill said he didn't have much hot
water for his shower so I'd need to re-set the breaker in the basement
before I went to shower.  (That has frequently happened when the furnace has
not been running much to heat the water via geothermal.)  When I went to
reset the breaker I found the smell of something burning right there!  The
insulation had been smoldering and the plastic face plate had melted over
the breaker!  Boy was it HOT!   OUCH!  I ran upstairs and threw the main
breaker to the water heater and called Bill, who was at work by then.  He
got the info for me to get a new thermostat at a local store.

I was going to pick it up and Bill was going to take his lunch to do the
repairs.  It sounded good until I got in the car and it wouldn't start!
When Bill got home, we discovered my 7 year old starter battery had given up
the ghost.  Now there is a downside to a Prius.  The starter battery is like
no other in size or shape.  We knew that, but we called around and Auto Zone
said they had it.  Bill picked it up on his way home.  It was NOT the right
battery.  We discovered you can only get a replacement from the dealership.
Naturally, they don't carry them.  You have to order them!  UGH!!!

Bill ended up taking the rest of the day off to work on the hot water heater
and my car.  I was blessed that someone at a dealer 45 minutes away had
ordered one but hadn't used it.  (Of course it was $150!)  After Bill
installed my new battery, he put the new thermostat in the hot water heater
but didn't like the way the insulation on the wiring to the thermostat
looked, so he headed out to purchase new wiring.  He got that installed and
with a couple of trials, we heard the coils kick in and everything seemed
fine.  (At this point, he was an hour late for class!)

The next morning he said that I should wait a little while before I showered
because it seemed to be taking a little longer to heat up, since the 50
gallon tank had gotten stone cold on Tuesday.  I waited another 3 hours and
had the absolute coldest shower of my life!!!  UGH!  There was no time to
find the problem at lunch, so after work, Bill came home and ran about every
test he could on the wiring and thermostat he had installed and it was all
good.  BUT, every time he threw the switch on it, the main breaker for the
water heater flipped!  It took us about an hour and we started smelling that
electrical burning insulation smell again....  Yup, the breaker itself had
gone bad and had started to melt down!  Luckily, we had a spare breaker.
The bad news is, we can't find any more.  It looks like we'll have to have a
new panel installed in the very near future.

We finally got hot water Thursday morning!  YEAH!!!  My poor DH is quite
worn out!  I don't want to call him to tell him the dryer is making a
horrendous noise....

Blessings,
Bonnie